Cleaning Safely and Naturally
Spring Cleaning means switching over for a new season, doing a more thorough once-over of the entire home, and sorting out a winter’s worth of clutter., Here are some simple tricks and tips for a spotless and organized home going into the high-traffic summer months.
Safe & Green Cleaning Conditions
- Work with the windows open and fans on to avoid breathing in unhealthy cleaning fumes.
- Wear thick vinyl or rubber gloves to protect your skin.
- Use “green” cleaning products that won’t damage the environment or your body yet work just as well.
- For a basic multipurpose cleaner, a one-to-one ratio of distilled white vinegar and water can be used as a very eco-friendly alternative.
- Use rags instead of paper towel to conserve paper.
- Don’t move anything major, like a couch, fridge, oven, etc., without help.
- Don’t use anything taller than a step ladder to reach those high places, and make sure someone steadying it.
We all have those drawers in our desks, kitchens, and bathrooms that keep all of the things we need, but just don’t have a place for. Most dollar or department stores carry dividers or cutlery holders that can be used to put all that necessary junk into some sort of order. In closets, laundry room and garage, hooks, and clips are useful to gather things together or get them off the floor.
Work Smart & Clean Efficiently
- Work from the corner of the room out towards the door, so you’re not going over anywhere twice.
- When tidying, make piles so you move many things once rather than doing small trips.
- Always vacuum, sweep and mop last.
- Clean one room at a time so that you can feel a sense of accomplishment that is motivating.